Portland has been called “a big city with a small town feel” and “the city of books, beer, bikes and blooms.” It has mild weather, breathtaking scenery, and friendly people.
Portland is a metropolitan area of more than one million people in the heart of the beautiful Pacific Northwest. You can enjoy living in a vibrant city while having access to pristine wilderness areas. After a day outdoors, you can enjoy Portland’s fine restaurants, live music, plays, concerts, sports events and shopping.
Known as the City of Roses, Portland hosts the famous Rose Festival every summer. It is also home to many fine colleges and universities, including OHSU, Lewis & Clark College, Reed College, the University of Portland and Portland State University.
Portland ranks high on the list of the most desirable places to live in the U.S. Here are just a few of the accolades it has received:
- Ranked #10 Best Places to Travel: Lonely Planet 2017
- Listed among the 52 Places to Go in 2017: New York Times 2017
- Listed as one of the Best Cities in the US: Travel & Leisure Magazine 2016
- Ranked #7 of the top 12 Best Big Cities in the US: Conde Nast Traveler 2016
- Featured as one of America’s Best Food Cities: Washington Post 2015
- One of the World’s Best Cycling Cities: CNN 2014
Things to Do and Places to Visit
- Portland Art Museum
- Oregon Zoo
- Forest Park
- Portland Saturday Market
- Mt. Hood
- Powell’s Books
- Oregon Museum of Science & Industry (OMSI)
- Multnomah Falls
- Tilikum Crossing
- Pittock Mansion
Finding a Home
Houses in Portland are much more affordable than other West Coast cities. However, housing prices are on the rise as people from other states continue to flock to the City of Roses. To view houses that are currently for sale in Portland, visit www.rmls.com and click on “Quick Search” and type in your home search criteria.
More Portland Stats
|Area||145 square miles|
|Elevation||173 feet (52.5 m) above sea level|
|Miles to Ocean||78 (125 km)|
|Miles to a Glacier||65 (104 km) at Mount Hood|
|Average High Temperatures||January, 47ºF / July, 74ºF|
|Acres of Parks||11,712|
|Time Zone||Pacific Standard Time (PST)|